A former runner of our Guild was the Cumberland Association (1889 to 1947) and the Cumberland and North Westmorland Association (1947 to 1975).

The Guild Archive is housed in a cabinet in the ringing room at the Cathedral.

Here are a few items from 1975 to 2017.

12th April 1975

Carlisle DGCBR established

The final AGM of the Cumberland and North Westmorland Association of Changeringers held at Orton agreed to change the name to the Carlisle Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers

15th December 1978

Ten bells for Whitehaven

The Guild’s first ring of ten are dedicated at Whitehaven

9th October 1982

First Annual Dinner

The Guild held its first Annual Dinner at the Tithebarn in Cockermouth

21st April 1983

Carlisle Diocese 850th Anniversary

12th April 1988

CDGCBR hosts Central Council meeting

29th April 1990

First Guild Training Day

1st January 2000

Millennium Celebrations

Millennium projects in the CDGCBR area include: Carlisle Cathedral Wigton Aspatria Greystoke

17th July 2002

Ringing Open Day

CDGCBR and Lancashire Association towers were open

2nd December 2015

New peal ringers

Six ringers from the Guild rang their first peal in 2015 to mark 300 years since the first recorded full peal.

2nd May 2017

Closure of Cleator Moor

Cleator Moor


Guild members who fell during WWI.

During the Great War, many ringers from towers in the Cumberland Association went to war, and some never returned home. Those we know about are recorded on a peal board in Hensingham tower.

Cleator Moor H Black 24 May 1915
J Bland 05 Apr 1917
G Dixon 24 Nov 1917
E Lister 04 Jan 1918
D H Tembey 07 Jun 1917
Keswick R Usher 18 Nov 1916
F Gardiner 27 Oct 1916
Carlisle H Connerton 27 Sep 1918
J Hodgson 18 Nov 1916
Cockermouth J Winthorpe 18 Sep 1918
Workington R Williams Not known
D Telford 28 Sep 1918

The Central Council has compiled Rolls of Honour for the casualties of both World Wars.